Discussion (*ask your questions here!) > Development

Secrets and Easter Eggs

As an Experimental Easter Egg... I have included a PWM to CV low pass filter on one of the ATMEGA328 outputs, this provides ~0-~5V control voltage which mirrors the CC 80 MIDI control.  By opening your Sprout and looking near the ICSP, you will see a pad marked CV. By tapping this point as positive voltage, and gathering Ground from another point on the board (there is a pad marked) you can easily break out the CV.

It is important to note, tying the MIDI Sprout ground to a modular synth may impact the 'sensitivity' of the device, depending on grounding loops and isolation.  One of the reasons the Sprout uses MIDI is to optically isolate the galvanometer attached to the plant from a user's synthesizer or computer (just like MIDI spec intended ;)

Please join our Support forum and share your experiences with adding the Control Voltage output (and whether it works or not!)

Hi Sam,

This is a remarkable easter egg! I would love a MIDI Sprout euro module, and I've been diving through these forums and finding them to be an incredible resource. This may not be the best place for this, but I've seen you offer printed solder circuit boards to other users here. I'd be very interested in one of those and a complete BOM if you don't mind sharing. This project is so inspiring, and I would love to play music with the plants I share my space with!

Warm regards,

Thank you very much Taylor, yes the BOM and board files are located here .  It is quite easy to order from OSH park and get some circuit boards delivered, comes in packs of 3. 

I have a couple board revisions, 98% of the parts are through hole and the surface mount components are all 1206, so pretty easy to hand solder.  ping me through sam at datagarden dot org and i can send you a single board.  You could easily build this all on perf board, in the same form factor as the Sprout.

The project, code, schematics, and mods are scattered across the forum and youtube videos.  There are only a handful of components in the end, the hardest part is soldering!  This is a post about the kit which has a parts list.

[0] Message Index

Go to full version