Welcome to the MIDI Sprout forum

Author Topic: Smokey Quartz MIDI Sprout videos  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Smokey

• View Profile
Smokey Quartz MIDI Sprout videos
« on: January 24, 2017, 04:35:08 PM »
Just got the MIDI Sprout and tried it out with a Flamingo flower plant and the Knas Ekdahl Polygamist synth. This is my first attempt at using it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8bxTA05Wdv4

Is there a better way to embed video?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:28:24 PM by sam »

Offline Smokey

• View Profile
Re: Smokey Quartz MIDI Sprout videos
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 02:36:38 PM »
Thanks for embedding my video!

Here is another attempt, this time with a Bromeliad. I tried to process the MIDI signal with Ableton's scale, chord and arpeggio MIDI effects for a more "musical" result, but I have more work (or play) to do with that.

Offline Smokey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 05:26:32 PM »

Here is a test with a Philodendron Congo Rojo plant. Again using a Knas Polygamist synthesizer but this time adding a Metasonix Wretch Machine vacuum tube synthesizer and Arturia B-3 virtual organ into the mix.

Offline Smokey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 05:13:29 PM »

Here is another test, this time outside with an aloe plant rooted in the Earth. When I first connected the Aloe, it would just play one sustained note. As I was lifting the sensor off to reposition it, I noticed the sticky sensor on my fingers was causing something interesting. So, I put one sensor on the Aloe and one on myself and just went with it. We are playing a B-3 organ simulation.

Offline sam

• Sam
  • Understand How Your Tools Work!
    • View Profile
    • Electricity for Progress
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 05:23:45 PM »
It is very common for a plant to 'flat line' when first attaching the electrodes. Consider, what would you do if someone walked up and put sticky pads on your face ;)

It takes some time and 'training' to get a plant to relax. Consider the single notes to be a protest of invasion. You must then establish trust. I know you can do it.

But this 'collaboration' with one trode on the plant and the other on your skin is a great experiment!

Glad you are having fun!

Offline Smokey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 03:12:42 PM »
Thanks for the explanation Sam. I am having a lot of fun with it. I found some cheese weed on my property that was "relaxed" and more than willing to play along. Here is another video for Valentine's Day.