Welcome to the MIDI Sprout forum

Author Topic: Midi Monitor not responding  (Read 2935 times)

Offline Stacy

• View Profile
Re: Midi Monitor not responding
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2017, 05:32:23 PM »
Oh, and I have Windows 10

Offline sam

• Sam
  • Understand How Your Tools Work!
    • View Profile
    • Electricity for Progress
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 10:34:57 PM »
Hello Stacy.  We have lots of videos and posts on the forum which should be able to give you an idea of what it takes to use the MIDI Sprout.  I recommend you go through all the posts (there aren't too many), look at the youtube page, and see what I have said to other users.

In summary, if you have never used MIDI before or do not have any synthesizer experience then that's going to be the hardest part for you.  The sprout itself is easy - attach the trodes, plug it, in turn the knob.  But then you need to know what to do with the 5 note polyphonic MIDI data and have the equipment to generate sounds

Offline alinta

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 01:20:00 AM »
Sometimes Midi Monitor doesn't work very well for me, there are times where it will not display any events, yet the MIDI will be working perfectly fine in my DAW. I haven't tried using the sprout with anything other than my usual DAW yet so it doesn't really matter, but it does give me a little fright now and then hah!

Offline nicoheins

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 09:56:16 PM »
hi guys, i'm back!   I've moved to a new house... and finally got around to installing the midisprout ...

Unfortunately, I only have a red light, does that mean the battery is dead? Ahhh! help!

-nico

Offline nicoheins

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 08:06:25 PM »
Fixed! I put in new batteries and we're back in business!

I'm using TENS clips now, but I am finding more response from the regular 'pads' ... any suggestions on that front?

Offline Nicola Alexandra Hajdu

• View Profile
    • NAmbient Music
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 01:57:11 PM »
Good that i read your second post prior my response. I was very close to suggest you to change batteries when only one colour lights up. :) In regards more output,...several factors may come into play. One that i can think of is the plant's mood. Sometimes there are periods of silence. This also occurs with plants residing in forests. And the same goes for the amount of the notes. This can vary as well. Think of plants as sentential beings.

Once they are aware of their own music it's still up to them to participate or not. So this can't be always a matter of conductivity. For the sake of certainty i always have a spare of TENS pads with me & once i arrive home i clean it's surfaces, so i can re-use them again the next time. The second factor could be due the size of it's surface. For instance, weed has tiny pieces to clip on. You can't use TENS pads there or else you tear apart a lifeforms part of it's body. The same with small leaves which is why i'm equipped with TENS clips too.

Usually MIDI-Sprout pulls of a great activity. Not infrequently i have to throttle the amount of the notes with the knob. On the DAW's side there are ways to FORCE the note range with Plugins offering Arpeggios or Scale adjustments. Some DAW's such Caustic 3 allow to set the Scale. In Propellerhead Reason you could try Thor's Step sequencer, among other possibilities. 

If you think your TENS pads don't provide enough conductivity then add a few drops of a lubricant gel. Usually you don't need to do that because when you carefully wash it's surface you are good to go again.

Much Love
Nicola

Offline sam

• Sam
  • Understand How Your Tools Work!
    • View Profile
    • Electricity for Progress
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 05:06:43 PM »
Yes in low battery condition the sprout turns off the light show. The idea is to conserve power and not interrupt a performance a voltage goes down. Batteries should last many hours, but fresh batteries will help with sensitivity.

For the tens clips, yeah you need something to conduct between the leaf and metal clip pad. I suggest cutting a bit of the clear gel from one of the pads. Carful as some conductive paste contains salt which can rot leaves (ten20 electrode paste). Not to be gross but a bit of gooey spit will work well for an hour or so.

Sam