Welcome to the MIDI Sprout forum

Author Topic: Midi velocity and harmonics  (Read 1460 times)

Offline gabriel

• View Profile
Midi velocity and harmonics
« on: August 30, 2017, 07:27:12 AM »
Hi guys,

Is there a way to control more accurately the MIDI data coming from the device? I see for example that the Velocity is always the same amount and never change. I'm using Ableton and i could use the velocity tool to make it more dynamic but i wish i could get the "real" velocity from the plant and not going to edit it myself. Also the scale range, the plant covers the full scale spectrum and i would love to limit it somehow to a certain (middle) range . Any thoughts? tools recommendation? I'm not using the Midi Sprout Tool, maybe it would help?
In other words, would you recommend any setup in terms of scales and harmonics? How is the best way to make the plant sound harmonically without going to change or edit too much the signal/midi notes incoming and keeping it as much as real? having the control of these things would be amazing for a live setup

Hope to hear from you soon!

Best Regards,
Gabriel

Offline sam

• Sam
  • Understand How Your Tools Work!
    • View Profile
    • Electricity for Progress
Re: Midi velocity and harmonics
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 06:28:57 PM »
Hi Gabriel.  The velocity is only one value, additional processing algorithms on the conductivity data being sampled could be developed and added to the code, you just need to figure out what type of information you are representing with the Velocity value (sample data rate, consistency of data), it would make sense to normally send velocity 95 and then do a 'peak' 127 based on the data algorithm for 'accent'.

Scaling of notes is best accomplished through Ableton Live 'scale' (under MIDI effects).  I suggest watching some youtube videos about how scale works because it has very powerful features.  Most scaling plugins will take an incoming note and map it to the next nearest scaled note.  You can also use this plugin to limit the note range.

The sprout already has code for scaling, you would just need to fire up the arduino IDE, edit the currScale = one of the listed scale arrays, or add your own custom scale.  You could also change the noteMin and noteMax variables (currently 36{C2} - 96{C7}) to limit the note range to your needs.

I wouldn't suggest using the MIDI Sprout Tools app, if you are using Live you have much more powerful tools!

Offline Nicola Alexandra Hajdu

• View Profile
    • NAmbient Music
Re: Midi velocity and harmonics
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 05:58:11 AM »
Dear MIDI-Sprout Community!

All those who feel a strong attachment with Propellerhead Reason might want to try out the following solution. The minimum requirement is a legal license, so you are able to purchase/add Rack Extensions in your Reason rack. I recently found AutoArp to be very convenient with MIDI-Sprout. Lucky ones may already have this versatile Scale & Harmonization player. Unfortunately, the developer died in an accident a few years ago & i noticed that AutoArp isn't listed in Propellerhead's shop anymore. As i don't have AutoTheory yet plus can't demo it a second time a double-check is impossible but nevertheless, ...it should work as an excellent alternative.

Velocity: If you want to achieve an organic, more randomly Velocity effect then let it be triggered by MIDI-Sprout. Right click on Velocity in AutoArp's Display to the lower left & select "Edit Remote Overide Mapping...". Let Reason learn for a few seconds before you are going to press Ok. In this case MIDI-Sprout becomes the Input Controller for this Automation choice. For the Control freaks pleasure we have to select "Edit Remote" instead which makes it possible to draw the Velocity values according to our liking. For the "live" performance sake i would assign Velocity with a MIDI-Controler's Mod-Wheel or Rotary. Again, the same possibilities should be given with AutoTheory as well.

Harmonics: AutoArp has a large selection of the most-wanted scales. When i demoed AutoTheory i didn't compare this but it might have more Scale choices to choose from. Both Rack Extensions allow Single & Chord playing. Don't forget to let AutoArp's track armed, so the Plant can trigger AutoArp's scale during the recording session. And of course, ...timing features such Rate, Human & Shuffle are also possible. :)

Much Love
Nicola
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:01:17 AM by Nicola Alexandra Hajdu »