Welcome to the MIDI Sprout forum

Author Topic: 555  (Read 433 times)

Offline gv

• View Profile
« on: February 09, 2018, 07:49:21 AM »
Hello Sam, Thank you to share your work.
I just would like to use your circuit with alone 555,  i.e pin 3 > 2n2222 and 8 ohms speaker ( without arduino )

My goal is not to do music but get communication with simple yes= impulse max, no= impulse min.
Is it possible ?…  if plant ok...

Could we fine circuit in using potentiometer 100K or + ( and not resistance R 100k)

What is the frequency ( may be no generality , according to plant , …)
Sorry for my poor english.
Thank you.

Offline sam

• Sam
  • Understand How Your Tools Work!
    • View Profile
    • Electricity for Progress
Re: 555
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 08:03:54 PM »
If you want to use the raw data from the 555 timer (set as astable multivibrator) you will want to put a small inline current protection resistor (<1k) from pin 3 output and then drive either an opamp or a transistor amplifier in order to drive a speaker.  I have used this method and the result with plants is a buzzing sound.  This method works great with humans squeezing apples, as variations in skin pressure make audio tones!  The plant data might not be knowable/understandable directly through the speaker for a human listener, although there will be a distinct tone with some warbles.  It is a great experiment, and I very much hope you try out the circuit with a 'raw' output!

I use high speed pulse width measurements (using an AVR microcontroller) and detect changes in the length of those pulses. That way I am able to extract data from a stream of high frequency pulse data and produce MIDI notes based on width fluctuations, and those notes are humanly recognizable.

There is a large misconception with how this device measures 'frequency' and 'vibration' and 'plant music'.  The frequency is represented by the sample rate (how often the computer checks the pulse), the frequency used to measure changes is in the 1kHz - 100kHz range.  The notes are triggered when there are multiple changes, those changes happen at the microsecond level and occur in bursts hundreds of times per second, they are not perceivable to human senses.

Please, build the circuit.  Attach it to plants.  Let me know how it goes!

-sam

Offline gv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 10:03:12 AM »
Hello Sam, in fact, my goal si to try to communicate with plants.

Exemple : yes=audible hight frequency  no= audible low F.

Did you or somebody testing ... and is it possible ?
And last but not least, remain to find a very nice and cooperative plant...

Offline sam

• Sam
  • Understand How Your Tools Work!
    • View Profile
    • Electricity for Progress
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 01:30:20 PM »
In order to accomplish your goal, i believe you will need to edit the code and identify the specific conductivity and change states which you consider to be a 'yes' or 'no'.  The 555 timer itself will not give you the simple yes/no data you are looking for.   I don't believe that you will be able to 'hear' the plant changes just from the output of the 555, perhaps you could change the 100k resistor to a potentiometer, that will give a different sensitivity level. 

-Sam