Welcome to the MIDI Sprout forum

Author Topic: Explained Solution for 2 MIDI-Sprouts simultaneously in Propellerhead Reason  (Read 451 times)

Offline Nicola Alexandra Hajdu

• View Profile
    • NAmbient Music
Dear Everyone!

Just recently i got a Creative E-MU Xmidi 1x1 Tab as a mobile solution (for Android IOS), so i wouldn't need to drag with me a Laptop & Complete Audio 6 on my hiking tours. Now, today i remembered that i could use the E-MU also on Windows (should work on MAC too). If you happen to own two MIDI-Sprouts & if you desire to record two Plants on one Desktop Computer/Laptop via Propellerhead Reason 10, then the following roundup might be something for you:   

1) Download the driver/install your 2nd Interface. The driver for Creative E-MU Xmidi 1x1 Tab can be downloaded from: http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=237&CatName=E-MU+%2f+Creative+Professional&subCatID=231&subCatName=MIDI+Keyboards&prodID=19089&prodName=Xmidi+1x1+Tab&bTopTwenty=1&VARSET=prodfaq:PRODFAQ_19089,VARSET=CategoryID:237
2) Make use of Advanced MIDI in Reason. You can reach it via Edit -> Preferences -> Sync.
3) Set Bus A to E-MU Xmidi1x1 Tab or any other spare Interface to your disposal.
4) Head to Rack view, drag the particular Instrument of your choice to the Reason rack & then scroll up to reach the Hardware Interface device. By default the button for Advanced MIDI isn't activated. This will open the Advanced MIDI device.
5) On Channel 1, select the chosen Instrument to link it with your 2nd Interface.
6) Then choose another Instrument & drag it in the Reason rack as well
7) Hover with the mouse on it's GUI to right click on it, so you can lock this selected Instrument with your MAIN Audio/MIDI-Interface.

Side-Info: IF you don't have already a "control surface" dedicated to the MIDI-IN of your MAIN Audio/MIDI-Interface then you have to create one, before you can proceed with step 7:

Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Control Surface -> Add. As a Manufacturer you can select <other>. Name it according to your liking and before you press on the button "Find" turn on MIDI-Sprout & then click on "Choose". Finish this procedure with "Ok".

Conclusion: Now you should be able to record two Plants through two MIDI-Sprouts the same time on ONE Desktop PC/Laptop with Propellerhead Reason. I don't have a Mac on hand but it should work fine. According to manual you don't need to install a driver for the XMIDI 1x1 Tab on Mac -> http://www.emu.com/images/docs/XMIDI1x1manual_EN.pdf. Hope i didn't forget anything. :)

Much Love
Nicola

Offline sam

• Sam
  • Understand How Your Tools Work!
    • View Profile
    • Electricity for Progress
Excellent setup tutorial Nicola! Thanks for helping Reason users get rocking!

-sam

Offline Nicola Alexandra Hajdu

• View Profile
    • NAmbient Music
Sam IT IS my pleasure to assist wherever i can. Especially when it is a contribution for something beautiful such MIDI-Sprout. :) As much as i understand the hype around Ableton Live & it's generous flexibility for live sessons, i'm too much addicted with the concept of having to deal with a Modular rack. Another plus is that Ableton & Propellerhead work together, so if i happen to collab with Ableton Users, no problem, let's use Ableton Link. :)

@Sam Just by the way, as you are an Android enthusiast i want to share that i should be eligible to get a new Smartphone. That's how the provider wants me to renew my "obligatory loyalty". One of the available options is the Huawei P10, which leaves a good impression as a reliable, robust & powerful companion. That's exactly what we want for hiking, right ? :) https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=huawei+p10.

Most-likely this will become my new Android device running Caustic with MIDI-Sprout. :) Apropos two MIDI-Sprouts & Mobile studio, ...equipped with two Android devices & 2 Sprouts it also enables us to plug on two Trees close to each other & see if they decide to go in unison. :) My gratitude remains to you & Data Garden.

Much Love
Nicola
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 03:27:54 PM by Nicola Alexandra Hajdu »