Welcome to the MIDI Sprout forum

Author Topic: Running multiple electrodes into MidiSprout?  (Read 229 times)

Offline alinta

• View Profile
Running multiple electrodes into MidiSprout?
« on: March 23, 2018, 01:23:03 AM »
Hi Sam and all,

Just out of interest, is it possible to take, say, 5 sets of electrode cables and, using some kind of device, feed them all into the one Midisprout? So that you have multiple plants playing on the one Sprout?

Would this just require some kind of splitter cable? Or some other device?

Cheers, Alinta

Offline sam

• Sam
  • Understand How Your Tools Work!
    • View Profile
    • Electricity for Progress
Re: Running multiple electrodes into MidiSprout?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 11:07:09 AM »
You certainly can split and splice electrode cables together.  Standard 3.5mm audio adaptor/splitters wont really work since the electrodes are setup as mono tip/sleeve on the connector.  There are 'tens' electrode leads which branch into many connectors, or you could use wire cutters and splice multiple snap leads together yourself.

But you will need to experiment to see what results you get, I have seen 'multiple plant' split setups where there was very little or no 'activity' read by the Sprout - described by one user "as if the plants were canceling each other out". 

If you are able get activity readings from both plants at the same time, it will likely be a bit noisy ;)   Already the sprout is like a toddler mashing on a keyboard, think two toddlers mashing at the same time! 

-sam

Offline alinta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 07:01:38 PM »

If you are able get activity readings from both plants at the same time, it will likely be a bit noisy ;)   Already the sprout is like a toddler mashing on a keyboard, think two toddlers mashing at the same time! 

-sam

haha that's true ;) thanks for the advice! I'll see what I can do.

Are you suggesting that other electrodes normally for EEG or similar would also work for  something like this? I'd like to know more about biofeedback in general but am still learning, so I don't know exactly what is possible at this stage.

Offline sam

• Sam
  • Understand How Your Tools Work!
    • View Profile
    • Electricity for Progress
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 01:45:28 PM »
Electrodes are just wires with sticky pads at the end (the sticky happens to be electrically conductive).  You can use any type of conductive material as the electrodes, and you can join together wires to connect multiple pads/trodes.  My first electrodes were just pieces of silver jewelry wire which i taped to the leaves of a plant ;)