Welcome to the MIDI Sprout forum

Author Topic: Need immediate with battery case!!  (Read 122 times)

Offline stevesciulli

• View Profile
Need immediate with battery case!!
« on: April 12, 2018, 12:57:12 PM »
Please Help as I have shows coming up for late April.
The thin wires that connect the battery holder onto the circuit board has broken. Also it appears that one of the wires melted!!!
Can I purchase a new battery holder with the circuit board pin pre-soldered?
I'm in the process of rehearsal for upcoming shows and need advice fast.
Thanks
Steve Sciulli 

Offline Nicola Alexandra Hajdu

• View Profile
    • NAmbient Music
Re: Need immediate with battery case!!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 06:38:15 AM »
That's a question i'm not supposed to know as i'm not part of the Data Garden team, i'm afraid BUT i have a hunch that Sam is the right guy to consult for such matters. He may be able to give you advice that may come handy for whoever is ready to fix it quickly for you. This may be a local repair shop as well, if you don't know anyone in your circle. Depending on where you live,...another option might be to send your Sprout back to either Data Garden or Sam, depending to whom of the two you placed an order in the past.

Both are able to repair it. One thing is certain, you need to find the quickest solution or else you have to postpone your event or improvise with something else very close to the promised topic & then try to offer a second concert, as a mack up. As things like that can happen & as i also damaged my Sprout with a risky experiment last year i not only had to replace burned chips but also ordered a spare Sprout after the motto better safe than sorry.

Much Love
Nicola
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:44:08 AM by Nicola Alexandra Hajdu »

• View Profile
    • NAmbient Music
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 06:47:40 AM »
Try to ask Sam if he is able to send you a replaceable battery kit. The rest can be soldered either by yourself or by a friend or in worst case, by a repair shop near your living environment:

https://squareup.com/store/electricityforprogress/item/biodata-sonification-kit-solder?square_lead=item_embed

Much Love
Nicola

Offline sam

• Sam
  • Understand How Your Tools Work!
    • View Profile
    • Electricity for Progress
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 04:26:21 PM »
Hey Steve - Oh wow it is wild to hear that you have some melted wires in the battery box.  The battery wires are thin but they should not be heating up. 

When you exchange the batteries, I suggest turning the battery box 'upside down', that way the circuit board can only touch the black plastic battery case and can not short circuit on the springs or battery terminals.

The easiest solution is to strip the two battery wires and solder the connection, this is something that a friend or neighbor, anyone with an iron and a little experience could take care of the two wires in a minute.

You likely have purchased your Sprout through Data Garden, and I am sure that they would provide support/replacement, although I'm not sure what their best support contact email address is.  You should check your purchase emails from Data Garden. 

I am happy to send you a battery box myself, it would just cost a couple bucks for shipping depending on where you are located.  Of if you are in Philly I can fix it for you ;)  ping me at samuel.cusumano {at} gmail [dot]com or through the store link that nicola mentioned.

Make sure to plug the positive and negative leads into the correct hole, the Sprout doesn't deal well with reverse polarity.  The circuit board should be clearly labeled for Power (red) and Ground (black).

--And thank you so very much Nicola for helping out, you are the best!!!

• View Profile
    • NAmbient Music
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 01:57:24 AM »
@Sam
I'm sitting here grinning like a 15 years old teenager with a flushing face. :-[ I feel connected with you & Data Garden plus your served me very well with an excellent customer service which i will never forget. :)

@Steve
I really hope you can make it. If you don't mind please let us know the further course of your adventure. You know how the Human mind works, ...curiosity is hard to beat & when an issue turns out positively then the better. :)

Much Love
Nicola

Offline stevesciulli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 07:08:13 PM »
I truly appreciate the quick reply's and the kind and loving words. the MIDI SPROUT family is the best.
Sam I'm going to sent you an email with a couple of pictures of the wires from the battery box. Its very strange.
So many wonderful midi sprout stories to share. After I get back up and running I'll communicate more.
Thanks Nicola and Sam

• View Profile
    • NAmbient Music
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 11:44:47 AM »
I can't wait Steve & all the best for your project. I hope you will make it in time and have back your MIDI-Sprout working for your concert. :)

Much Love
Nicola