Welcome to the MIDI Sprout forum

Author Topic: Need immediate with battery case!!  (Read 455 times)

Offline stevesciulli

• View Profile
Need immediate with battery case!!
« on: April 12, 2018, 12:57:12 PM »
Please Help as I have shows coming up for late April.
The thin wires that connect the battery holder onto the circuit board has broken. Also it appears that one of the wires melted!!!
Can I purchase a new battery holder with the circuit board pin pre-soldered?
I'm in the process of rehearsal for upcoming shows and need advice fast.
Thanks
Steve Sciulli 

Offline Nicola Alexandra Hajdu

• View Profile
    • NAmbient Music
Re: Need immediate with battery case!!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 06:38:15 AM »
That's a question i'm not supposed to know as i'm not part of the Data Garden team, i'm afraid BUT i have a hunch that Sam is the right guy to consult for such matters. He may be able to give you advice that may come handy for whoever is ready to fix it quickly for you. This may be a local repair shop as well, if you don't know anyone in your circle. Depending on where you live,...another option might be to send your Sprout back to either Data Garden or Sam, depending to whom of the two you placed an order in the past.

Both are able to repair it. One thing is certain, you need to find the quickest solution or else you have to postpone your event or improvise with something else very close to the promised topic & then try to offer a second concert, as a mack up. As things like that can happen & as i also damaged my Sprout with a risky experiment last year i not only had to replace burned chips but also ordered a spare Sprout after the motto better safe than sorry.

Much Love
Nicola
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:44:08 AM by Nicola Alexandra Hajdu »

• View Profile
    • NAmbient Music
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 06:47:40 AM »
Try to ask Sam if he is able to send you a replaceable battery kit. The rest can be soldered either by yourself or by a friend or in worst case, by a repair shop near your living environment:

https://squareup.com/store/electricityforprogress/item/biodata-sonification-kit-solder?square_lead=item_embed

Much Love
Nicola

Offline sam

• Sam
  • Understand How Your Tools Work!
    • View Profile
    • Electricity for Progress
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 04:26:21 PM »
Hey Steve - Oh wow it is wild to hear that you have some melted wires in the battery box.  The battery wires are thin but they should not be heating up. 

When you exchange the batteries, I suggest turning the battery box 'upside down', that way the circuit board can only touch the black plastic battery case and can not short circuit on the springs or battery terminals.

The easiest solution is to strip the two battery wires and solder the connection, this is something that a friend or neighbor, anyone with an iron and a little experience could take care of the two wires in a minute.

You likely have purchased your Sprout through Data Garden, and I am sure that they would provide support/replacement, although I'm not sure what their best support contact email address is.  You should check your purchase emails from Data Garden. 

I am happy to send you a battery box myself, it would just cost a couple bucks for shipping depending on where you are located.  Of if you are in Philly I can fix it for you ;)  ping me at samuel.cusumano {at} gmail [dot]com or through the store link that nicola mentioned.

Make sure to plug the positive and negative leads into the correct hole, the Sprout doesn't deal well with reverse polarity.  The circuit board should be clearly labeled for Power (red) and Ground (black).

--And thank you so very much Nicola for helping out, you are the best!!!

• View Profile
    • NAmbient Music
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 01:57:24 AM »
@Sam
I'm sitting here grinning like a 15 years old teenager with a flushing face. :-[ I feel connected with you & Data Garden plus your served me very well with an excellent customer service which i will never forget. :)

@Steve
I really hope you can make it. If you don't mind please let us know the further course of your adventure. You know how the Human mind works, ...curiosity is hard to beat & when an issue turns out positively then the better. :)

Much Love
Nicola

Offline stevesciulli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 07:08:13 PM »
I truly appreciate the quick reply's and the kind and loving words. the MIDI SPROUT family is the best.
Sam I'm going to sent you an email with a couple of pictures of the wires from the battery box. Its very strange.
So many wonderful midi sprout stories to share. After I get back up and running I'll communicate more.
Thanks Nicola and Sam

• View Profile
    • NAmbient Music
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 11:44:47 AM »
I can't wait Steve & all the best for your project. I hope you will make it in time and have back your MIDI-Sprout working for your concert. :)

Much Love
Nicola

Offline LeakyVessel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 03:58:35 PM »
Please Help as I have shows coming up for late April.
The thin wires that connect the battery holder onto the circuit board has broken. Also it appears that one of the wires melted!!!
Can I purchase a new battery holder with the circuit board pin pre-soldered?
I'm in the process of rehearsal for upcoming shows and need advice fast.
Thanks
Steve Sciulli

Thanks for this post. I have the exact same problem.  Been using the midi sprout the past couple of days to test work for an installation and the battery wire fried.  Please can you help?
Thanks

Offline sam

• Sam
  • Understand How Your Tools Work!
    • View Profile
    • Electricity for Progress
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 02:33:05 PM »
Hi Steve, very sad you have an overheating battery issue. In my personal research I have found that the issue happens when the battery box is inserted with the batteries 'up' which risks the batteries touching the electronics.

I suggest you treat this as a manufacturing fault and send it back to the dudes. I don't know the best conact email for them, please review your purchase emails. 

I do much of the support on the forum, along with our beatified amazing biodata sonification explorers.  I'll provide anything i can give, and battery boxes are cheap (shipping sadly it's not).

My primary repair suggestion is to trim the wires find a decent gauge of wire any color and solder it to replace the melted segments Use shrink wrap tubing to cover the joins. And then connect a 2 pin header in order to mate with the main power jack. I think soldering is fun, but I understand not everybody has the tools or the excitement!  or I'd be happy to send you a battery box with a header soldered on, and you just need to make sure that the batteries are facing down when you put it into the enclosure.

If you are in Philly, I'd be happy to help in person. Look around and email me directly.

Best of luck, sorry for your trouble.

and stay tuned, I am working on a new version with another group which will provide some significant enhancement, greatly improve support, and perhaps intruding some Wireless, multiple device, and modular connectivity. Get excited.

Sam
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 03:03:59 PM by MIDI Sprout »

• View Profile
    • NAmbient Music
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 11:58:32 PM »
and stay tuned, I am working on a new version with another group which will provide some significant enhancement, greatly improve support, and perhaps intruding some Wireless, multiple device, and modular connectivity. Get excited.

This sounds intriguing of course. :) As you remember i couldn't place an order with Data Garden in the past, as they have been sold out in the wrong time. I didn't want to wait months, so i looked up for an alternative & so stumbled upon your store. Thanks to your commitment & service i could fetch my very first MIDI-Sprout from your shop. After that, i could count on your first aid from a long distance.

Your explanation & encouragement helped me to replace my blown chips due to a risky experiment. And so i ended up getting a 2nd MIDI-Sprout as spare device because you always have been there to answer my needs. A reliable customer service builds up trust which you never forget. As i also love to see Joe's commitment he continues to carry on i literally stand between two parties not compatible with each other anymore.

I would have to lie myself if i wouldn't secretly wish you & Joe to agree with each other on a good compromise basis that still could contain new enhancements. Even though i'm a bit skeptic about WLAN, as due layman level i can't imagine how to filter the environment radiation (perhaps per software?) coming from other devices, which could interrupt with the capturing process needed to be focused on the fluctuations of the connected lifeforms, i remain open-minded about the wireless feature.

It's just that i need your insightful videos for better understanding which i expect you to record anyway once you are almost ready to either go for a crowdfunding first before it goes retail or bypass that to direct sells world wide. Please inform me via email once you have uploaded first impressions of your new designed device. I expect a change in price tag because the more features inbuilt the bigger the effort in general. The features that i crave for most are as it follows:

.) CV connectivity, so Sprout could trigger given options on a modular device. I for myself keep thinking about Behringer's Neutron OR Arturia Minibrute 2. Both are attracting & would come in bearable weight & dimensions.

.) Another request - for the convenience  sake - is edibility as such for scales, velocity, notes & chords via software OR on Midi-Sprout's display IF possible respectively IF an affordable version remains feasible.

.) i wouldn't mind Sprout to control several devices at once neither. :) It just would be a dream if Sprout's signal could be split internally, so before it goes to the connected MIDI-devices you could program each "MIDI channel" with different aspects.

I'm aware this sounds too crazy but hey, we Artists ought to be like that. ;) Example, i want Sprout to trigger JP-8080 where i have prepared a deep atmospheric pad reverbed to no end. As with all long sustained sounds you want Sprout to send only a couple of notes in time.

While for a bassline on Korg Volca Bass it could work with more notes. The same with a sequenced sound on a Korg Volca FM etc... I'm sure you get my point here. :) Basically we can workaround this by Software. Ableton Live Users seem to know their ways to gain more influence while i have my ways in Propellerhead Reason to cope or compensate with the well-known limitations.

.) The flashy led show needs to stay although you eventually have to find a new logo, which makes sense & i bet there are a couple of possible demands of what Sprout should indicate on it's surface but the more features get packed the more complex the concept become which results in a more expensive end product.

Last but not least, ...i want to stay honest with you, ...it would hurt to see a price tag corresponding to Damanhur's U1 device, which shouldn't be so expensive anymore. Their Bamboo seems to react on MIDI-Sprout's increasing popularity & the demand for a portable & lightweight solution. As someone interested in Sounddesign i don't demand for an inbuilt ROMpler but what i crave for are features that ignite & support the creative flow, so to speak.

On the other hand, for you & your crew, from a business point of view it would make sense to get as much potential customers as possible. :)

Much Love
Nicola
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 12:16:17 AM by Nicola Alexandra Hajdu »