Welcome to the MIDI Sprout forum

Author Topic: Info about MIDI Sprout translation  (Read 184 times)

Offline doansai

• View Profile
Info about MIDI Sprout translation
« on: May 08, 2018, 07:19:18 AM »
Hi,
I'm very interested on buying Midi Sprout and I'd like to know more about it.
I didn't find any information about the midi translation which is the real subject of this impressive tool,
and i just need to know one thing.
Is the midi pattern directly generated by plant pulses or it's a "smooth" translation of what MIDI sprout receives from plants?
I've heard many melodies and patterns generated and it's amazing how much plants respect music rules while playing scales.

Thanks in advance for any interest

Offline sam

• Sam
  • Understand How Your Tools Work!
    • View Profile
    • Electricity for Progress
Re: Info about MIDI Sprout translation
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 01:05:59 PM »
By default the Sprout puts out notes in a 12 chromatic scale. Many if not most users use some other scaling algorithm either in software or even programmed into the sprout, in order to get the lullaby sounds that you tend to hear.

Notes are sounded only when a change in electrical conductivity is sensed in the plant, the note that is produced is proportional to the difference in conductivity between a Baseline and the measured change event.

As conductivity increases the note will go down in Pitch. Since there are only 49, 66, or 88 notes on a piano keyboard I allow the notes to ' wrap-around ' from the highest to the lowest note. This allows very fine changes in conductivity to be expressed using just a few musical notes. This can be seen when the Sprout oscillates very quickly between a very high and a very low note, showing that it's just at the edge of one of those regions.

There are effectively no plant pulses, rather the constant changing electrical conductivity of the plant is measured many thousands of times per second and changes in that conductivity are detected. I wouldn't say that the plant is putting anything out, it's more like we're listening in.

Offline desertskymc

• View Profile
Re: Info about MIDI Sprout translation
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 10:32:04 AM »
thanks Sam for explaining the default midi output protocols on the Sprout, here is a video of my preliminary experience scaling within the Ableton live environment, i wish you guys could share more videos on how you filter and select notes for sustain, portmento etc to further sculpt the sound, https://youtu.be/s4YbMgguudo