Welcome to the MIDI Sprout forum

Author Topic: Question about midi data  (Read 22 times)

Offline alinta

• View Profile
Question about midi data
« on: June 12, 2018, 08:48:10 PM »
Hi Sam and all,

Here is a link to a screenshot of some recorded midi data in Ableton Live using midisprout (I tried attaching it to this message but it keeps saying an error has occurred): http://alintakrauth.com/pic. This image is showing 7 minutes worth of recording. It wasn't until I zoomed right out that I noticed this interesting pattern that it made that you can see in the attached image. Does this mean anything in particular? I understand from previous threads that notes on the midisprout get lower as more difference in conductivity is felt (I think I have that right?) and it wraps around when required. What this screenshot shows is the signal going from the top to the bottom of the scale over and over again, at first quite quickly, and then getting slower and more detailed on the timeline as it continues to play.

Are there any insights that can be made from this? eg. Is this typical? What does it mean the plant is actually doing? Is this just one continuous (but wrapped around) signal that simply means the conductivity is getting weaker or stronger (?) with time?

PS. Similarly, I have other midi screenshots that show different plants acting very differently to this one - they look much more scattered across the octaves rather than these bands. And yet others where the plant generally produces the same signal over and over again for a sustained period of time. What does this jumpiness or lack of jumpiness all suggest about the plant's signal??

Cheers, A

Offline Nicola Alexandra Hajdu

• View Profile
    • NAmbient Music
Re: Question about midi data
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 10:59:46 AM »
Hi Alinta!

The link to your image doesn't contain a image file format. In order to make images show in a thread you need to point where the image is stored, or else it leads to an error. Once an image is uploaded on a server you need to make use of it's location. In that case right click on the image & then select copy image address or copy image location or something like that, depending on your browser.

In regards your second question i may have my theories on it but you need to read it from the source for your confirmations sake, so i will leave it to Sam to explain it more scientifically. Patterns can change & they won't sound the same. So this is not limited about that each plant pulls out differently. Surprises need to be expected.

Much Love
Nicola