Welcome to the MIDI Sprout forum

Author Topic: Using Sprout without IAC Bus?  (Read 60 times)

Offline alinta

• View Profile
Using Sprout without IAC Bus?
« on: July 01, 2018, 01:43:45 AM »
Hi all,

I'm trying to connect the MIDI Sprout to a program in order to allow the Sprout to control some visuals. However for this program to take a MIDI input it seems to want to connect directly to the device itself and not IAC. But because the Sprout goes through IAC, the device itself doesn't come up as an option for MIDI input in this program. Is it possible to use the Sprout without routing it through IAC? How would I unplug it from the IAC to test it?

I am running OSX 10.10.5

Offline sam

• Sam
  • Understand How Your Tools Work!
    • View Profile
    • Electricity for Progress
Re: Using Sprout without IAC Bus?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 08:17:22 AM »
What are you using as a USB to MIDI interface? 

You only need to select your USB MIDI device in the visuals program.  The IAC midi bus is a built in router in OSx which is totally not needed if you are doing the direct USB connection.

1. Plug you MIDI/USB device into the computer (don't matter if the Sprout is attached or not)
2. Open sNoize MIDI Monitor and check to ensure the USB/MIDI device shows up
3. open your visualizer program and choose the MIDI/USB device

Offline alinta

• View Profile
Re: Using Sprout without IAC Bus?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 09:49:34 PM »
I think I may just be a bit confused with how both MIDI and IAC work as I am a beginner to all of this, so forgive my slowness here!

The MidiSprout itself is attached to my computer via USB (the EMU cable). Instead of pulling it into an audio program like Ableton I'm trying to pull it into a visuals program (something called Magic Music Visuals that also takes a MIDI input). I was hoping to select the MidiSprout directly from the visuals program as a MIDI source. But the program is only reading the Sprout as an IAC source, and I have been told that this program cannot deal with IAC and that I need to select the device (being the MidiSprout) more directly.

So I figured I needed to unhook the sprout from the IAC Bus?... or does the sprout not work directly as a 'midi device'?

Again forgive me for my noobness here, I am trying to make sense lol.  :D