Welcome to the MIDI Sprout forum

Author Topic: Setup and Usage of MIDI Sprout  (Read 3624 times)

Offline sam

• Sam
  • Understand How Your Tools Work!
    • View Profile
    • Electricity for Progress
Setup and Usage of MIDI Sprout
« on: March 29, 2016, 09:14:26 AM »
Add a Topic under this category to ask questions about MIDI Sprout setup and usage.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 06:37:59 PM by sam »

Offline tomorrowsman

• View Profile
Re: Setup and Usage of MIDI Sprout (*Ask questions here!)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 08:54:24 PM »
Hello there; I received my MIDI Sprout yesterday, and I can't wait to begin; I found the video for using MIDI Sprout tools in Ableton Live on iOS, but cannot find the download/instructions for Windows PC.  Could you point me to this/these link(s)?

Grazie!

Offline sam

• Sam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 10:39:42 PM »
Those of you running Windows should download the zip file of MIDI Sprout Tools   , and install Pure Data Extended https://puredata.info/downloads/pd-extended

MIDI Sprout Tools is a novelty Pure Data patch, and while it has quite a bit of functionality, it is dwarfed by the powerful MIDI editing tools in a DAW like Live.

If you can get PD itself running on your operating system (based on the instructions on the PD forums), the MIDI Sprout Tools patches should work if you unzip into a directory.

I also recommend using MIDI-OX with windows, in order to route MIDI data across applications.  This works similarly to the IAC MIDI Bus on Mac OS X.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 06:21:12 PM by sam »

Offline Chrisegli2000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 01:45:48 PM »
Hello! So I received my midi sprout and it doesn't seem to be working properly. It does the light show boot continuously and some time stops with no lights. Sometimes it stops and has one light on. It seemed to work once when the lights flashed differently when I touched the sensors. But it did not play my synth at all. Thanks, Chris

Offline sam

• Sam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 02:35:45 PM »
Hey Chris I'll send you a message and we can exchange your Sprout!

-sam

Offline skoobert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 03:30:24 PM »
Hello Sam,

I'm getting some errors when I'm trying to use the Midi Sprout Tools in PD.  I wanted to experiment with changing the musical scale.  The Tools window isn't showing the knobs like in your video and this list of errors

midiparse
... couldn't create
 midiformat 1
... couldn't create
 range 0 127 0 127
... couldn't create
 cup
... couldn't create
trigger: i: bad type
trigger: i: bad type
 knob 32 32 1 12 0 1 empty empty Channel -5 -8 0 12 -262144 -1 -1 0 1
... couldn't create
 knob 32 32 1 127 0 1 empty empty Control -5 -8 0 12 -262144 -1 -1 1944 1
... couldn't create
 knob 32 32 0 127 0 1 empty empty CCmin -5 -8 0 12 -262144 -1 -1 0 1
... couldn't create
 knob 32 32 0 12 0 1 empty empty Root -5 -8 0 12 -262144 -1 -1 0 1
... couldn't create
 knob 32 32 0 127 0 1 empty empty CCmax -5 -8 0 12 -262144 -1 -1 3100 1
... couldn't create
 purepd/float_argument $1 100
... couldn't create
 purepd/float_argument $1 100
... couldn't create
 tabdump custom
... couldn't create
 cup
... couldn't create

Offline sam

• Sam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 06:22:55 PM »
Skoobert a few people have been reporting issues with PD, try gathering the old pd-extended https://puredata.info/downloads/pd-extended

Unzip the MIDI Sprout Tools from my earlier post and it should find cup, knob, and the other extended utilities/libraries!

Offline tomorrowsman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 08:53:08 PM »
Just to verify, will MIDI Sprout not work on Windows without using PD? 

Is this PD program compatible with OS above XP, or x64 systems?   

I can only find giant all-caps warnings stating "THIS IS ABANDONED SOFTWARE. THERE IS NO SUPPORT" as opposed to usage instructions, compatibility, relationship with MIDI Sprout, etc.

Those of you running Windows should download the zip file of MIDI Sprout Tools   , and install Pure Data Extended https://puredata.info/downloads/pd-extended

MIDI Sprout Tools is a novelty Pure Data patch, and while it has quite a bit of functionality, it is dwarfed by the powerful MIDI editing tools in a DAW like Live.

If you can get PD itself running on your operating system (based on the instructions on the PD forums), the MIDI Sprout Tools patches should work if you unzip into a directory.

I also recommend using MIDI-OX with windows, in order to route MIDI data across applications.  This works similarly to the IAC MIDI Bus on Mac OS X.

Offline sam

• Sam
    • View Profile
Re: Setup and Usage of MIDI Sprout
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 09:28:37 PM »
MIDI Sprout is compatible with all MIDI capable devices! There is no need to use the tools PD patch, it is a pleasant novelty and example of pure data application.
The pd-extended project is obsolete, open source, and beautiful I suggest you check it out... Everything ran fine on my virtual machine running Windows xp,7,8,10
If you have a MIDI interface for your computer, and a MIDI capable program, then you can easily route MIDI Sprout.

MIDI Sprout also works great with keyboards and synthesizers, transmitting on channel 1.

For users who are not familiar with MIDI, you will need some hardware to use your Sprout with a computer or iPhone.
Beginner MIDI

The only thing needed is a MIDI cable to plug your Sprout into a universe of sounds!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 10:26:38 PM by sam »

Offline OdaCloudHead

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 04:37:08 PM »
Hi there,
My Midi Sprout arrived last week and today I finally had some time to check it out and it appears to be broken.
I put in the 3x AA batteries as described in the tutorial and no lights came on.
I then set up the audio midi and downloaded the Snoize midi monitor to see whether the midi sprout is transmitting any data
but there was now response. The included usb/midi cable lights up and Snoize recognizes that something is connected to a midi port
but there is no information coming from the sprout.
Can someone please help out with this?
Cheers,
O.

Offline Resonantfields

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 04:48:54 PM »
Is there a link anywhere that I can read a spec on this sensor and what it outputs so I can understand what might work with it?

Offline sam

• Sam
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 12:39:30 PM »
Hi, let me suggest you read through the forum, there are not too many posts, i have gone into detail about a variety of topics.  Particularly the Kit Assembly videos discuss the galvanometer.

The sensor is a 555 timer set as an astable multivibrator, using a plant leaf as variable resistor, modulating pulse width of a square wave.  Essentially the Galvanometer senses micro variations in conductance and outputs a string of pulses at different rates.  By measuring these pulses with a microcontroller (interrupt routine) and identifying changes in timing, we are able to detect fluctuations occurring in the plant and generate MIDI notes.

Here is a bit of info on the 555 and assorted projects !

Offline sam

• Sam
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 04:28:24 PM »
Hi Carol.  Sounds like the USB MIDI cable isn't setup correctly What type of USB MIDI cable are you using?  In MIDI Monitor any USB midi device should show up in the Sources --> MIDI Sources listing.  The Sprout has a MIDI Out which should connect to your computer MIDI In port. 

Offline carolsharp77@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 07:43:36 PM »
Thank you Sam, it turned out I should have used the black connector not the white one on the split connector provided. Not sure what the other one is for?
Could I ask if there is any existing chat about the lights on midi sprout and what they are indicating please?
Thanks
Carol

Offline sam

• Sam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 05:00:28 PM »
The LEDs on the sprout correspond to the musical notes which are being played.  The Sprout is limited to 5 note polyphony, only 5 notes can play at any one time.  The presence and duration of those notes are shown by the fade/flash of each of the 5 LEDs.

I am glad that you were able to get your MIDI flowing.  The Sprout is a MIDI 'Output' device, similar to a piano keyboard which plays notes and sends MIDI to a synth or computer.  You want to run the Sprout Output to the MIDI Input on your interface.  The other connector is the MIDI 'output' from the computer, which you could connect to another synthesizer or computer.

-sam