Welcome to the MIDI Sprout forum

Author Topic: MIDIsprout Kit Build Discussion  (Read 3089 times)

Offline sam

• Sam
  • Understand How Your Tools Work!
    • View Profile
    • Electricity for Progress
MIDIsprout Kit Build Discussion
« on: March 18, 2015, 09:45:19 PM »
Use this part of the forum to discuss you experiences building your MIDI Sprout kit.  If you encounter any challenges, the forum is the best place to look for help!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 10:32:59 AM by sam »

Offline SharonS

• View Profile
Re: MIDIsprout Kit Build Instructions
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 04:14:01 PM »
Hello Sam,
Sharon here. What I've got here is a finalised kit with midi in en out to USB (three snake plants and a gorgeous dracaena). I've put batteries in it, and it's all lit up, and I'd like to get the data going to Ableton.
I'm very new to programming in Max for Live and haven't got any experience streaming data into it yet.
I've got some very basic questions that I couldn't find the answers to (yet) on your forum:
  • What is optimal placement of sensors on the leaf. Same side or opposing side?
  • Do you have a basic schematic (for dummies, like: this cable goes here and that cable goes there, and then you go to this file menu, etc...) for connecting MIDI sprout with Ableton? How does Ableton recognise MIDI Sprout?
  • Do you have any basic Max for Live patches using MIDI sprout data?
I will be meeting up with someone who's got plenty of experience tomorrow, and we can probably start building a patch....
Greets, and looking forward to your answers! Sharon

Offline relaxing

• View Profile
Re: MIDIsprout Kit Build Discussion
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 10:02:29 PM »
Yo, step 31 and 32 are the same image.
Step 34 - "placeholder"

Telling people the resistor color bands would be nice.
Guess there's no way to know which LED is which without lighting 'em up.

Offline sam

• Sam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 10:17:08 PM »
The best way to determine the LED color is to use a CR2032 'watch'/button battery which can help to identify LED polarity and color.

When building the kits, all LEDs will eventually be illuminated, and the user can 'switch' LED locations to their taste once the kit is built.

In the Instructions you are right the same image is used in Steps 31 and 32.  The 'green' LED goes on the left side of the board between Row 12 and Ground.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 10:21:06 PM by sam »

Offline typedef

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 02:15:50 AM »
Hi Sam,

Do you provide these kits with pre programmed controllers or do you recommend that I buy the parts and put it together?
And what is your favorite store for buying parts? 

Offline sam

• Sam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 08:55:55 PM »
While there currently are no kits available, the parts count is very low and the parts are available anywhere from digikey.com to RadioShack .

If you have an Arduino (Uno, Micro, or anyuino!), you can easily build the Galvanometer circuit using only a 555, 100k resistor, .0022uF cap, and an LED (plus decoupling caps and jumper wires).

Hooking the Galvanometer circuit up to an Arduino and a MIDI jack can allow you to do many deeper experiments with the method.

If you dig through the forum you will find schematics, and circuit board diagrams.  It would be easy to get some parts from digikey, program a raw ATMEGA328p on a breadboard using an Arduino, and solder together yourself a MIDI Sprout!

Stay on the lookout (and email list) for more information about future updates!  I've been thinking about the BioData Sonificiation Arduino Shield....

Offline typedef

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 01:57:17 AM »
Thank you for explaining that. If I use an Uno, which has the ATMEGA328pu chip, would it still be possible to use the code you have provided
for quantizing the signal into midi? And do you recommend wiring more than 1 Galvanometer circuit to the same board in order to sense 2 or more plants?
cheers!

Offline sam

• Sam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 09:17:04 AM »
Yes the code will operate on most (if not all) Arduino compatible chips, and you can change to the code base which I have provided to upload to the Arduino.

If you are only looking to 'scale' the notes, and if you are planning to use a computer and program (like Live), I would suggest performing the scaling in the Ableton application.  Now if you are trying to attach your Sprout to a synth, then changing the code would definitely make it easy to get consistent 'pretty notes' using a Minor (or other) scaling.

Your question about using more than one Galvanometer is a good one!  To begin, I don't know if it would work with two Galvs... the sensing routine uses interrupts and i would expect that to no longer be accurate if trying to measure two inputs with two interrupts.  It should be very possible to change the data input routine to 'poll' for a state change rather than using the pin change interrupt as a trigger.  The device may lose some accuracy, depending on the speed of the microprocessor - I am fairly sure you could get a bunch of galvs polling through a slightly more powerful chip running at 84Mhz or more like the Due.

If you are trying to sonify to more than one plant (for example the Data Garden Quartet installation), currently I use a MIDI merger and some custom software to send data on different MIDI Channels for a different Sprout on each plant.  I also have been working on a WIFI connected Sprout, which acts as a 'Client' to a processing.org 'Server' and multiple Sprout's data can be streamed and pushed to sound generating applications.

Offline severin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 06:36:03 AM »
Hi Sam,

I'm currently trying to build my own MIDI Sprout with sourced parts as the assembly kit doesn't exist anymore.
The first problem i've encountered is attaching my mono jack socket to the breadboard. Mine looks like this:

http://uk.farnell.com/cliff-electronic-components/cl13843g/conn-mono-jack-socket-3-5mm-pcb/dp/2766195?st=3.55mm%20mono%20socket

How would I go about attaching header wire to make it fit in the breadboard, or do I need a different socket?

Also, regarding the processor, I was thinking to use an Arduino Uno as the processor in the kit was pre-programmed and I don't know how to program one, but I've already began making the MIDI Sprout as it says in the instructions, part for part (roughly), so would bringing the Uno into the equation render a lot of the board useless? Where would I connect the Uno to the breadboard?

Many thanks!

Offline sam

• Sam
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 12:19:42 PM »
Hello severin. I always have kits available on my electricity for progress store https://squareup.com/store/electricityforprogress

Also the instructable is very old and you should follow the instructions on my GitHub https://github.com/electricityforprogress

You can use an Arduino Uno (with the 328p chip), upload the code, and pop the chip off the Uno and into the sprout circuit board. Otherwise use ICSP to program a bare 328p using an Arduino as ISP setup.

You can use the jack you have, just need to connect the two unswitched pins on the jack to the top two pads on the circuit board.

Look in my git and you can see the uno/breadboard project example if you want to see how using an Uno and simple breadboard works.

-sam

Offline severin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 06:58:52 AM »
Thanks very much Sam, very impressed at how quick you are to help everyone on this forum!

Will get back to building...

Offline severin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 10:37:09 AM »
OK...

I've practically built the whole thing. I turned the 3.5mm jack sideways, so the tip and sleeve are sitting on separate rows. It only fits if one half of the connectors goes into the ground bus (this could potentially be changed).

Connected Arduino to breadboard (it seems the Analog In A0 and A2 connecting to potentiometer and button weren't on the instructions), red LED near timer is constantly on. When loading sketch, the other LEDs light up in sequence but go back to being off afterwards. Putting the electrodes in, they do nothing! Also changing potentiometer and pushing button do nothing. Just the red LED near the timer stays as it is.

Any clues as to why it doesn't go any further than this?

Many thanks!

Offline sam

• Sam
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 11:55:57 AM »
The jack for the trodes should not be connected to ground. The tip goes to the threshold/trigger on the 555 chip, the other goes to discharge with a 100k pull up resistor.

If you are building this on a breadboard, I suggest building just the 555 timer block and get that red led flashing based on touching trodes. Then connect the 555 output to the 328p/Arduino.

Offline desertskymc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 03:52:27 AM »
Hi Sharon, just select the midi Device you are connected to from the Midi Sprout, under the 'Midi' menu in Ableton Prefs, make sure its 'on'  then enable a midi track input, and you will see midi data when the Sprout is turned on and connected to a plant, do not sweep the knob  to the right, just switch on to test, the colored lights will indicate activity from the plant. here is a video showing more advanced Able ton functions, https://youtu.be/s4YbMgguudo